Healthy Muesli Bars
This recipe combines fresh apples with oats, nuts, and seeds to bring you a super healthy snack for you and your kids! (the perfect lunchbox snack!)
Apples have such a sweet and delicious taste and with the added bonus of pectin they help keep digestive systems healthy and humming! These muesli bars are quick and easy, and are a fantastic healthy alternative to store bought bars (which can often contain added nasties!). Made with oats, they are packed with soluble fibre and have a low GI – keeping blood sugar levels balanced (no more sugar spikes, just healthy sustenance!). Added chia seeds, almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds give you a healthy dose of protein, omega-3, vitamin E, copper, magnesium, selenium, biotin and zinc! Wow!
- 2 large apples (grated)
- 3 cups (350g) of whole oats
- ½ cup (65g) of spelt flour (no spelt flour? You can use wholemeal flour instead)
- 2 tbsp. of chia seeds
- ½ cup of raw almonds (cut almonds in half)
- 1 tbsp. of sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp. of pumpkin seeds (otherwise known as pepitas)
- ½ cup of medjool dates (pitted and chopped) – Approx. 6-8 dates
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup (60mls) of coconut oil (use olive oil if you do not have coconut oil)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup of maple syrup (you can switch this for honey or coconut nectar)
Preheat oven to 180 °C (if fan forced 160 °C). Combine oats, spelt flour, chia seeds, dates, almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds in a large bowl. In a separate bowl combine grated apple, oil, egg, vanilla and maple syrup. Pour the wet ingredients evenly into the dry ingredients, stirring to form a sticky muesli mixture.
Spoon mixture onto a non stick baking tray, you want it to be roughly an inch thick (you may need to wet your spoon to distribute the mixture evenly!)
Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.
Cool then cut into pieces.
For extra crunch (and a slightly sweeter bar), pull muesli bar tray out of oven after 15 minutes and brush with extra maple syrup. Place back in the oven for remainder of cooking time.
For nut allergies, leave out the almonds.
For egg allergies, replace the egg with ½ a mashed banana